Assistantships and fellowships
- A teaching assistantship currently pays $16,712.40 [as of Fall semester 2013] for 38 weeks, 20 hours/week.
- Research assistantships pay at least as much as a teaching assistantship, sometimes more, and often continue over the summer.
- Traineeships, University Fellowships, practicuum placements, and other sources of support are also available.
Tuition and Fees
- Fee waivers. Students supported on an assistantship, fellowship, or traineeship that pays the equivalent of at least a 10-hour assistantship can expect to have their tuition and most of their fees waived. Tuition may also be waived for any Vietnam veteran whose service was credited to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.There are remaining out-of-pocket costs to students of approximately $700/semester in fees. In addition, there is a one-time Graduate Entering Fee of $357, charged only in the first semester of enrollment in a graduate program. Summer health coverage is available for an additional fee. For details see the information at the Bursar's Office webpage, www.umass.edu/bursar
- Nearly all our students have tuition and most fees waived. If a Massachusetts resident does not have tuition and fees waived, that student currently pays $110/credit tuition each semester. Nonresidents pay $414. In addition, graduate students are assessed a general fee of approximately $3621 per semester (for Massachusetts residents; $4484.50 nonresidents) when registering for 9 or more credits. This fee covers the University Health Services, the Fine Arts and Campus Centers, a Graduate Student Senate Tax, and Curriculum Fee. Health fees and other miscellaneous fees, together with up-to-date information, can be found at www.umass.edu/bursar
- University housing is available for married and unmarried students, although not in sufficient quantity to meet the demand. Most graduate students share apartments or houses off campus.
- For additional information on the graduate student residence hall and off campus housing for students please visit the University's housing webpage at: www.housing.umass.edu.